Saturday, August 20, 2011

-13

Joe has been bitching about his relief pitching all year:
"Can I bench all of my relievers?"
"If someone wants a RP that loves F&%kin you up on Friday, Saturday, Tuesday or Wednesdays, I've got one for you."
When I ran the position analysis a couple of games ago, Joe's relievers had scored only 67 points all season - easily the lowest in the league.

Despite that, Joe went into last night trailing in the wild card race by two games.  His hitting was mediocre but Jake's (Jake S.) hitting was worse.  When I did a quick hand tally late last night, Joe was leading Jake 39-28 including 9 points from Joe's #2 RP Jose Valverde and 7 from Jake's #1 RP Craig Kimbrel.  Both have starting pitchers going on Saturday.  Jake declared, "It's over.  I'm not going to win the wild card."  I said, "You could be right."

Enter Ryan Madison - Philly's closer - Joe's #1 RP.

He came in to pitch the bottom of the 9th with the Phils leading 4-2.  A solid save would put Joe in a very good position going into Saturday's games.  But oops, he gave up a single to Jason Werth.  Then another single to Danny Espinosa.  And another to Jonny Gomes.  4-3 Phillies. Wil Ramos, the Nats catcher bunted the runners to second and third, netting Madison his first positive point of the inning.  Jesus Flores pinch hit and was intentionally walked (with Joe muttering 'Jesus Christ' if he was watching).

Ian Desmond then singled, tying the game and eliminating the possibility of a save for Madison.  But he then struck out Rick Ankiel for the second out and had a chance to get out of the inning only a hair below sea level.

Enter Ryan Zimmerman (aka Bob Dylan).  A 3-2 fastball from Madison was send Blowin' in the Wind.  A walk-off grand slam.  And -13 for Ryan Madison.  'Fuck you up' he did.

Now Joe trails Jake by 14 points going into today's games.  Not only must he cover that spread, but beat him by enough to gain 2 games in the standings.  Alexi Ogando goes for Joe and Justin Masterson for Jake.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bob, for the play by play analysis. The last thing I did before leaving work last night was to go on ESPN.com. I saw 2 on and no outs. When I got home, I was puking from the Uecker seats.

Unless I get a perfect game, congrats Jacob.