Friday, June 12, 2009

The Jake and Joe Rule

I'm going to create a new rule next season that says you (Jake and Joe) can not start making pickups for the next FNFT game until the day after the previous game starts. In FNFT-speak, that means you (Jake and Joe) must wait until Saturday after a Friday game or Wednesday after a Tuesday game to make your next pickup. It can be one minute after midnight the next day, but it must be the next day.

Right now I when I pull down the lineups I manually reset the "Next Game" number. Next year I'm going to automate all of that and it will be much easier to deal with only dates (i.e. pickups made on June 12 count for Game 14 - pickups made on June 13 count for Game 15) rather than dates and times.

It's not that it ever bothered me that people people (Jake and Joe) started making pickups on Friday afternoon for the next game and I had to make mental note of it so that I didn't include those pickups in the game that I was currently working on and then half of the time that I would forget to post the pickup in the next game. Wasn't any of that. Because now with the new system it's easier to keep track of those things. It's that right now, I sort of dictate (to everyone except Jake and Joe) when you can start making pickups for the next game by when I update the site. This gives me an advantage in that I get first dibs on pickups (even though some people [Jake and Joe] will just make their next pickup anyway even though I haven't update the site yet.) With an automated system based on real time rather than when I get around to it, it puts us all on the same level playing field and make my job of running the league that little bit easier.

If you want to start practicing the new policy this year, that would be great. But know that Jake or Joe will probably get the guy you wanted if you wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another add/drop rule named after me. I am truly honored. I would feel really blessed if you updated this in the FNFT Rules.

Joe.