Sunday, September 27, 2009

Postmortem to the 2009 Season

And on the 200th day, the Commissioner rests. So ends the 23rd season of FNFT.

In every year of FNFT I have three goals: to improve the player experience for everyone, to streamline the administrative process for me, and to try to field a championship team. I believe I accomplished my first goal. All of the feedback I have gotten about the new lineup and stats system has been very positive. The system will be back next year. My second goal was a slight step backwards, but not by much. I still spend way less time on league administration than I did 10 years ago. My third goal was one of the most stunning failures of my life. I spend a lot of time studying the game of baseball. I spent a lot of time preparing for this year's draft. I don't care if my top starting pitcher missed the whole year. A 106 loss season should never happen to me. Ever. It was an embarasement.

I've kind of had this notion that the more stats and analysis tool I provided for everyone, the more parity there would be in the league. I obviously didn't think that every team would finish .500, but with all of the same information available to everyone, I figured that it would keep the win-loss totals closer from team to team. This year in the FNFT, on average, teams were 14.0 games either above or below .500. That's the highest it's ever been. So much for my theory.

If you try to log in to the rosters system right now, you may find it unavailable. That will be the case for much of the off-season; it will be hit or miss. Alpha Five, the software I used to create the system, has an upgrade due out in a few weeks that will allow me to make a few changes. Nothing dramatic, but a few neat features will be added. I'll tell you what they are after I figure out how to do them. I do want to create a way for teams to log their own trades. The rest will be mainly window dressing. You are free to try to log in any time you wish to see what's new.

That being said, this would be a good time to let me know about any suggestions you have about the roster system or anything else FNFT. What did you think about the new playoff format? Avery thinks we should go back to both series being best of five. I would rather keep the 4-game series, but seed the playoffs so that the team with the best record plays the team with the worst record, regardless of who the Wild Card was. TMac did kind of get the shaft given his regular season record. Should we add a disabled list? Tweak the points? Now would be a good time to go on the record with your suggestions.

On thing that fell by the wayside this year was the regularly updated list of FNFT player points. I've finally done that. Here is next year's auction list:

POS NAME MLB PTS
SP1 Tim Lincecum SF 260
SP1 Zack Greinke KC 257
SP1 Johan Santana NYM 221
1B Albert Pujols StL 189
1B Justin Morneau Min 188
SP1 CC Sabathia NYY 188
C Joe Mauer Min 188
2B Chase Utley Phi 177
OF Jayson Werth Phi 176
OF Nick Markakis Bal 172
SP2 Chris Carpenter StL 172
3B Evan Longoria TB 171
OF Matt Kemp LAD 166
1B Mark Teixeira NYY 161
SS Hanley Ramirez Fla 158
1B Miguel Cabrera Det 157
SP1 Roy Oswalt Hou 157
OF Bobby Abreu LAA 155
DH Ryan Ludwick StL 153
OF Matt Holliday StL 152
OF Jason Bay Bos 151
SP1 Roy Halladay Tor 150
3B Alex Rodriguez NYY 150
2B Brandon Phillips Cin 147
SS Troy Tulowitzki Col 147
2B Brian Roberts Bal 144
SP2 Josh Johnson Fla 144
C Brian McCann Atl 141
OF Brad Hawpe Col 141
OF Andre Ethier LAD 139
OF Adam Jones Bal 138
OF Ryan Braun Mil 137
1B Adam Dunn Was 137
2B Aaron Hill Tor 136
2B Ian Kinsler Tex 135
3B Mark DeRosa StL 135

TMac drafted Zach Grienke in the 5th round, Andre Either in the 8th round, Josh Johnson in the 10th round, and Chris Carpenter in the 16th round. All of them made the auction. Amazing.

Finally, the 2010 FNFT Draft will be Saturday, April 3 (my wife's birthday). Same time. Same place. I'll remind you 5 or 6 times before then.

Enjoy the MLB playoffs and have a good off-season.

No comments: