Sunday, July 29, 2012

Good Points

Joel posted the following on the FNFT Message board:
If we want to make hitting worth more, we should provide bonus points for multi-hit games.  A couple weeks ago, I had a guy get three hits.....total points=3.  I understand that we prefer power hitters to slappers, but that's stupid.  This change would help power hitters who can also hit for average.  If necessary, we could juice up the power bonus too, but i really don't think that's necessary.  The scoring system for relievers is way too generaous now too.  They shouldn't be scoring more than starters, which is often the case.
Starting pitchers this year (the ones that count) are averaging 12.33 points per game.  Relief pitchers are averaging 5.71 PPG.  I think it's an exaggeration to say that relievers "often" outscore starters.  It would be more appropriate to say that they "sometimes" do.

I just checked.  In fact, a team's starting pitcher of record scores more than their relief pitcher of record only 64.2% of the time.  The other 35.8% of the time either the reliever scores more of they're the same.  Given the relative perceived value of starters and relievers, I don't think it a misrepresentation to say that relievers "often" score more.  I stand corrected.

Be all of that as it may, I still like the new rule for relief pitchers.  If the season ended today, we would have two relief pitchers in the auction next year.  I think that's a good number.  We'd have 10 starting pitchers.  I think that's probably about right too.

Here is a discussion of the relief pitcher point system.  And here.  And here.

I think it's an excellent idea to add bonus points for multi-hit games.  Hitters this year are averaging 4.11 PPG.  That means that the average relief pitcher is worth almost one and a half times the average hitter.  I think that's out of whack.

Let's say that we changed the scoring for hitters so that a guy's first hit in the game is worth one point and each hit after that is worth two.

You guys don't still look at boxscores and add up your points on Friday night, do you?  'Cuz this would make it a little more complicated.  I can't imagine that anyone still does that.

If we made that change, the average score for hitters would go up to 4.93 PPG.  Given that you start nine hitters, that would on average increase a team's score by a little over 7 points per game.  I'd be fine with that.  I also like that it favors BA hitters over power hitters.

It's great that you brought this up.  I think that these debates are much better had in-season.  By March all of this will be forgotten.  Hoping others chime in.

4 comments:

Jay Dubs said...

You didn't answer your son Jacob's message. As you know I have always stated you need multiple good relievers because you do not want to miss out on the automatic 7 points they give you. I am loving the season Chapman is having for me, but I think his point total is too high for a reliever. Starters are the most sought after player in MLB and FNFT and as such, there points should reflect their importance. I would like to see starters get more points for a win. I do like the idea of hittres with muliple hits get more points. Is there anything from stopping the league in giving out .5 points for something? I have always stated that if someone is the commissioner and takes the time to do their thing for a league, they should be able to change the rules around as they see fit until a committee is formed to run a league. I'm just sayin.

Scott Segrin said...

For relief pitchers, we could do the same thing with strikeouts as I'm proposing for hits for hitters. One point for the first strikeout and 2 points for each strikeout after that. (Right now we give 2 pts for every strikeout by a reliever.) That would lower their average from 5.71 PPG to 4.99 PPG and be more in line with hitters. (Hitters would be 4.93 PPG under the new rule.)

Scott Segrin said...

Under the proposed change for hitters, if a guy went 4-for-4 with 4 grand slams home runs, that would be 59 points - roughly equivalent to a starting pitcher throwing a perfect game.

Costanza said...

That is an interesting point, I just don't know what it is. I'm not a smart man, but I can still out drink that son of a bitch, bastard, Avery. He likes turkey roll and carries a european carry all. Im just sayin. The bigger question is, when I get to the World Series, will I win a game? Im just sayin.