Saturday, May 30, 2015

Joe Mauer for David Ortiz

On I think Wednesday, Bill Hicks left me a message at work saying he wanted to pick up Joe Mauer and cut David Ortiz.

The problem is that I had picked up Joe Mauer a week earlier.  Hicks didn't know this because he hadn't gotten "the sheets" in the mail yet from when I had picked up Mauer.  Because I was in Indy last week, I had gotten a few days behind.

Also because I was out at Indy last week, I was insanely busy at work and there was no way I was going to call him back to let him know he can't have Mauer because it takes an hour and a half just to get to the part where you tell him why you're calling.  Wednesday night is my golf league - couldn't call him then.  Thursday, Laura and I when out to a show with my Mom - couldn't call him then.  Yesterday was our wedding aviversary so we went out to dinner - couldn't call him then either.

So I'm sitting here Saturday morning trying to figure out what to do.  It would be unfair to force him to keep Ortiz because Boston is giving him a week of R&R and it was known that he wasn't going to play Friday night.  So what I decided to do is retroactively trade him Joe Mauer for David Ortiz.  That way, he gets the tranaction he wanted and we can move on.

David Ortiz is a great player, but if you didn't know, he's really sucking this year.  That's why Boston is giving him time off.  Joe Mauer is no slouch, and he's playing really well this year.  Ortiz is also six years older, so someday, Joe Mauer will be a legitimately better player than Davis Ortiz.  Maybe it will be this year.

In order to do this, I though it fair that I should be able to replace Mauer at first base with David LaRoche so I didn't have to take a zero.  LaRoche scored 4 points.  Mauer scored 5.  So the deal will cost me 1 point this week, which remains to be seen if it will cost me a game in the standings.

Some of you may take issue with this.  If you do, make me an offer for David Ortiz and I'll give it strong considertation.

That is all.

No comments: